Established in 1953, Sacred Heart School is a parish-affiliated Catholic school serving students in transitional kindergarten through the eighth grade. We strive to nurture the spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional and developmental growth of each child. In partnership with parents, we foster a safe and caring environment which promotes academic excellence, celebrates Catholic faith, builds community, encourages mutual and self-respect and provides service to others.
The central focus of Sacred Heart School is our belief in God and in the principles of the Catholic faith through the formation of community and the practice of Christian service. We are committed to instilling Catholic values by providing religious experiences that enable each individual to grow closer to God. We encourage each child to discover, develop and utilize his/her God-given talents and to appreciate the talents of others. Our goal is that students will recognize and value Christ’s presence within themselves be inspired to serve God and one another.
In partnership with parents, we embrace the responsibility to support the spiritual, intellectual, social and emotional development of each child. By providing a rich learning environment for all students that includes a diverse and engaging curriculum, we support students in becoming life-long learners who will become positive and successful members of society.
Sacred Heart School opened on October 12, 1953, with an enrollment of 401 students. By 1960 the enrollment had increased to 860 students in a sixteen-classroom school. The faculty was comprised of seven Benedictine Sisters and nine lay teachers. To promote good citizenship, leadership and to create a good spirit among the students, the Associated Student council was inaugurated in the spring of 1971.
In 1983, the Benedictine Sisters left Sacred Heart and the school had a lay principal and staff from 1983 to 1986. Also in 1983, the Kindergarten was established. In August of 1986, two Sisters of St. Joseph of Nazareth, Michigan, joined the Sacred Heart staff as co-principals. In September of 1993, the Kindergarten room was enlarged. In June of 1998, the two Sisters left the school and a lay principal was hired. During the summer of 1998, central air-conditioning and heating was installed throughout the school. During the past four years, new carpet, new ADA compliant restrooms and a new roof were installed. A brand new primary playground was installed in 2002. In the summer of 2004, the refurbishment and replacement of fixtures in all restrooms was completed. Recently, the water fountains have been upgraded in promoting healthy habits.